A virus that has surfaced frequently in anti-malware scans in recent times is the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus. It is a Trojan and is undoubtedly dangerous.
As you would with any disease, first understand what the virus is, how it makes an entry and what damage it can cause, before going on to the step by step guide for removal of the virus.
A Threat to Privacy
The Backdoor.Vexdoor virus targets Windows Operating Systems and immediately goes about stealing your personal information. It does this by connecting your system to the hacker’s machine and handing over complete control. Consequently, this virus must be treated as a serious threat to your privacy.
Cybersecurity experts have found that the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus makes a quiet entry, riding piggyback on free software downloads. However, spam emails can also be the carrier of this dangerous virus. The significant point to be noted here is that the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus can evade detection by routine antivirus software. Your OS’ firewall can be breached by this virus as well.
You can now appreciate how lethal this Trojan can be. The following steps detail how to remove the virus manually. However, such manual removal should only be attempted by people who are very comfortable with the workings of their machine, as the slightest error can do irreparable damage to your system. If you’re not confident going the manual route, consider using antivirus software instead—it can do all of the work for you.
The Manual Way to Remove the Backdoor.Vexdoor Virus
A majority of viruses can be tackled through specific and targeted antivirus programs which make it an automatic process where you have to do very little. However, the lengthy and complicated process of manually removing Backdoor.Vexdoor virus is the more challenging one and that is what is described below.
- You need to start your computer in Safe mode.
- For this, press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time to open the Run
3. Type msconfig and click Ok to open the System Configuration dialogue box
4. Of the tabs you find on the top, click on
5. From the next window, choose Safe boot by checking the box next to it, then click
At this stage, you have your system restarted in Safe mode. Now, to the next set of steps:
- Navigate to the Run box again by clicking the Windows and R buttons simultaneously.
- In the Run window type taskmgr to open the Task Manager window.
- Look at the processes you don’t recognize, weren’t started by you or that appear malicious in nature.
- Right-click on each of these processes and select End Task.
While this might have taken care of the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus active at one level, it is capable of lurking in other parts of your system too. You may have to reach the control panel and do a more thorough cleanup.
- Go back to the Run
- Write control panel in the box and click Ok.
- Among the many options there go down to Programs and click on Uninstall a program.
5. Use the opportunity to search for any other unwanted programs that may have installed with or without your knowledge and uninstall all of them (provided you are sure that they are not essential to your operating system).
That should legitimately take care of the main removal process of the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus from within your system. It’s also good practice to empty the Trash can and then restart the computer in normal mode before operating it as usual.
In one last exercise, you may wish to get rid of the Backdoor.Vexdoor virus from your browser if it has lodged itself as an extension. Whether it is Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge, visit each of the browsers and remove the Backdoor.Vexdoor extension.
Experts will suggest that you remove all traces of the virus from the system’s Registry as well. However this requires complete knowledge and familiarity with the moves so that there are no lasting consequences for your system.
Finally, as a matter of principle, avoid downloading freeware. Even when you feel it is imperative, study the small print to be sure what’s going to arrive along with the software you want to download.