Cliksource.cool has become a notorious virus in recent times, with thousands of PC users around the globe have been reporting it. The malware takes the form of a legitimate search engine, and when users enter any text or click on it, it will immediately redirect them to a malicious website.
If your computer is affected by the virus and you would like to get rid of it completely, you have come to the right place.
Google has categorized it in the Google Redirect virus category, which denotes that this one is a common occurrence. The hackers want users to keep visiting multiple websites, most of them harmful in nature, click on links to download spyware and virus tools besides being pushed in to scam pages that may try to insert keyloggers among other harmful plugins.
Signs to Identify Cliksource.cool on Your PC
If your PC or laptop is already infected by the virus, you might want to confirm because many malware programs behave similarly and it is difficult to identify their actual name.
Here are some signs:
- The DNS settings in all your browsers will be modified because it gains direct access to your computer’s settings.
- All searches you initiate will be redirected to random links with multiple ad popups.
- While you will still be able to browse, you will constantly be bothered by popups. Accidentally clicking on them could lead to more security issues.
- Look out for spam ads that claim to help you make money, find a partner or multiple ad blocks that look spammy in nature.
- A common sign that your PC or laptop has been infected with malware is that it will start slowing down suddenly without any warning.
When such signs are spotted, it is mandatory to immediately take steps and remove the virus because it could cause irreparable damage to your PC as well as the valuable data stored within.
How to Remove Cliksource Virus Manually in Windows 10
The steps are relatively the same for Windows 10, Windows 7 and older versions. You do need technical knowledge on how to manually do it rather than using an antivirus software to remove it with one click.
- Switch on your PC as you would normally do and let it load all startup programs.
- You can either click on the Start menu to Restart your PC or just click on the button if you have one on your CPU cabinet.
- As soon as the reboot begins, start softly tapping on the F8 function key.
- Do it at regular intervals which will allow you to boot into Windows 10 safe mode options.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate and highlight the Safe Mode with Networking option.
- Press Enter and log in to Windows as you usually do.
How to Remove Cliksource.cool from Firefox, Chrome & Other Browsers
The steps to remove an unauthorized or unidentified extension from different browsers practically follow the same process, albeit some minor changes. Every time, you should head into the Settings page to access Extensions and manually scout through all the plugins installed.
If the extension that is enabled is not from Google, Microsoft or from any recognized source, you can remove it. Unless you recognize the software, there is no point in keeping it as it is usually the malware you are looking to get rid of.
Removing Cliksource.cool on Google Chrome
- Open your browser as you will usually do and look for the three dots on the top right corner.
- Navigate to the option that reads More Tools.
- Among the list of options provided, choose Extensions.
- A list of all enabled extensions will be displayed with a check box on the right side.
- If you find something that looks like malware, disable it and also remove it from the list of installed extensions.
- Click on the bin icon to uninstall it from your browser.
Removing Cliksource.cool on Mozilla Firefox
The Cliksource malware acts as a redirecting virus and it executes it in the form of extensions. These extensions are automatically installed in all major browsers that you have already installed on your desktop.
You can manually remove it from all browsers, and Firefox is usually a primary choice right after Chrome for many users.
- Click and open Firefox as you would normally do.
- You will find three horizontal lines on the top right corner.
- Click to open it and then click on the option that says Add-ons.
- Here you will find four different options. Click on Extensions to find all active and installed extensions.
- Disable everything that looks suspicious and make sure to remove them from the browser so that they don’t reactivate themselves through another malware
How to Remove Cliksource Through Windows Task Manager
- Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time.
- Find “Task Manager” and open it.
- You will find a list of processes running on your Windows 10 PC at the time.
- Never close anything that says “System” as it is related to Windows, but instead choose “End Task” for every process which is related to Cliksource.cool.
Removing Cliksource.cool from the Settings Menu
- Switch on your PC or laptop.
- Let Windows load. If you are using Windows 10, you can use the Cortana search bar to find the Settings menu.
- Click on the Circle icon on the left-hand side of your taskbar and type Settings.
- You can also directly type “Add or Remove Programs” in the search bar and open the icon.
- Scroll through the list of installed apps on your device and uninstall everything that uses the word “Cliksource” in it.
All these processes are simple, and if you are a longtime Windows user, it should be easy to manually remove the Cliksource.cool redirecting malware from your browsers as well as your operating system. An easier choice would be to use antivirus software or a malware removal tool which will allow you to do it by simply clicking on the scan button and removing all identified viruses.