Auto Speedup 2018 is a program that can popup any time on your computer monitor and warn you that your system has slowed down due to infected files and if you download Auto Speedup 2018, it can remove these files and speedup your system.
In reality, it is a fraud claim and is done with the hope that customers will fear the worst and pay the download fee and end up installing Auto Speedup 2018.
The way it works is that it will first ask you if you are keen to know why your system has slowed down. A majority of users will hit accept and allow it to scan their computer and come up with a number of files that need to be rid of. But, be warned: Auto Speedup 2018 is a virus and can affect your desktop or laptop computer.
If Auto Speedup 2018 is already present in your system, how would you remove it? Here are the steps to be taken to remove Auto Speedup 2018, depending on which operating system or from which program your device is running on.
If Your System Is Running on Windows:
To remove Auto Speedup 2018 from your Windows computer, here are the steps:
- Click the Start icon.
- Click on the tab Control Panel.
- Under this, you will find a tab that says Programs and under it you will find Uninstall a Program.
- Clicking on it would take you to the list of programs; if you find Auto Speedup 2018, uninstall it immediately.
- However, if the version of the OS is Windows 10, the first step would be different: you will have to right-click on the Start button at the bottom left and it will open the options in which Control Panel will appear.
- Besides Auto Speedup 2018, if there are other programs you might have downloaded inadvertently, uninstall them also one-by-one.
- You have to click on “OK” to have these changes reflected on the system. To be sure, you could restart your system and resume working on it.
If Your System Is Running on Mac OS X:
If you are using a Mac OS X device, the following steps need to be taken:
- On the top left corner of the monitor or screen, click on the “Go” button.
- On the dropdown menu that has many entries, click on “Applications.”
- This will take you to the next dialogue window with the different applications installed on your device.
- Wait until it gets fully populated and then look for Auto Speedup 2018 and any other such unwanted applications.
- On each of these applications, you will have to right-click and choose the “move to trash” option.
- This will ensure the fake tool is erased from your computer.
Removing Auto Speedup 2018 from Different Browsers:
You could be using any one or many of the most common browsers, such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari.
It is quite possible that Auto Speedup 2018 or any other potentially unwanted programs (which are often referred to as PUPs) could be lurking there.
You must learn how to remove these unwanted programs from each of these browsers.
The common entry you should be looking for is “Extensions,” which are present in most browsers. Once you locate the Settings options, you will be able to find “Extensions” and on clicking it, the list of browser extensions will appear.
Each browser will have a different option to disable or remove extensions. The steps for doing this are outlined in the support pages for the respective browsers:
- Chrome: Install and Manage Extensions
- Firefox: Disable or Remove Add-Ons
- Microsoft Edge: Adding, Moving and Removing Extensions for Microsoft Edge
- Safari: Install and Manage Safari Extensions on Your Mac
You need to patiently complete the task by removing each of these programs.
After this, you will have to go to the main browser Settings page and make changes to remove all cookies or caches and, if required, go for a browser reset. This is the surest way you can get rid of Auto Speedup 2018 from your system completely.
When you are doing this, make sure you click on the last command; “OK” or “Save changes” or any other confirmatory button before getting out of that page.
In the absence of that, it may not be fully registered and the harmful program may still be around on your system and turn out to be a potential threat.
Other Ways to Remove Auto Speedup 2018 and Other PUPs
The procedures explained above are all part of the manual process of removing Auto Speedup 2018 from computer systems if it has been downloaded and installed by oversight or due to lack of knowledge.
But, there are dedicated programs available to remove Auto Speedup 2018. These can be purchased and run on your machine to search out the malicious files, applications and programs from throughout the system and flush them out.
Are There Ways to Keep PUPs at Bay?
There are indeed methods you can strictly adopt to make sure that no such potentially unwanted programs get downloaded on to your computer.
The general understanding, as covered earlier, is that the average user is unaware of the risks associated with these programs and it is this very ignorance that the developers of programs like Auto Speedup 2018 fully exploit.
They first scare the user, convincing them by presenting a list of “infected” files, while in reality these may be very old and inactive registry entries which can cause no harm to the user’s hardware or software.
So, keeping yourself abreast of developments in the computer security field is one way of remaining alert.
The other solution is to have the best anti-malware installed on your system. It will stop any such unwanted programs from being downloaded in the first place.
And finally, keep your hardware and software up-to-date by accepting the updates and patches that are periodically presented to you by the legitimate developers of these programs.