The internet is plagued with malware, viruses, spyware and all kinds of malicious threats. The “.Writeme File” belongs to this category as well, and even though it is identified as a virus, it is in fact a ransomware.
For newcomers, ransomware is a type of virus which is used by hackers to gain control of your important files. They will demand a specific amount of money to be paid so that you could decrypt your confidential files again.
These malicious hackers will threaten victims that they will delete the files if the ransom is not paid. At this point, it becomes important to know how to remove the .Writeme File virus so that you can avoid spending your money on a ransom and get back your important files.
Provided below are all the important steps to follow and also some precautions to avoid facing such situations again in the future.
How Did This Happen?
You might be wondering how your computer got infected by this ransomware in the first place. Here are some possibilities:
- You might have opened torrent websites, adult websites or have downloaded malicious files which had the virus embedded in it.
- If you have downloaded any freeware files, they may sometimes contain such malware content which could later affect you.
- Using your internet connection in public places with your laptop can also lead to virus infection.
- If you have inserted an infected USB drive, a phone or an external hard disk, the possibilities are definitely there as well.
How to Remove .Writeme Virus in the Windows Task Manager
The Windows task manager is the best place to start when you are looking to find and disable such malicious programs.
- Press Ctrl and hold it.
- Now press the Alt key and then press the Delete key, which will open up a list of options in Windows 10. This works on all other Windows platforms using the same shortcut keys.
- Click on Task Manager and scan through the list of running processes.
- Keep scrolling through background processes and click End Task for any application that looks suspicious.
NOTE: Keep in mind that when you close tasks, some of them may be related to the Windows operating system and could crash your system. However, it will not affect your data and you should continue ending all unidentified tasks as it may stop the virus from being active on your system.
How to Remove .Writeme by Disabling Unauthorized Startup Programs
Every time you call technical support, the first solution that they will provide is to restart your computer. They will also suggest you remove the plug and reinsert it to see if it fixed the problem. This process can solve many issues, but it will not remove the malware, especially if it is already added to the list of startup programs.
Here’s a solution:
- Windows has a couple of startup programs to ensure smooth operations as soon as you switch on your computer. Follow the same procedure by pressing and holding Ctrl along with Alt and Delete.
- This will open up the Task Manager.
- You will find a list of option tabs in the window. Click on Startup and go through the list of files that are authorized to run when Windows runs.
- Check for Startup Impact and if a file says its High or Medium, it could be one of the files that supports the virus.
How to Remove .Writeme from the Registry Editor
- Hold the Windows Key and press R to open the Run Command file.
- A long list of files will open in which you can search for the virus using its name.
- Use the search feature by pressing Ctrl and F together.
- Type “writeme” and remove any files in the registry which has an associated file name.
NOTE: When dealing with the Windows Registry Editor, you should take extra care because deleting the wrong file could completely bring down the operating system. Always use an additional laptop or computer when you are troubleshooting a virus. You can compare the registry files in another PC to see if it is something new and found only on your computer to make sure it is a virus or some malicious file.
Step-By-Step Guide to Removing .Writeme in Your Browser
Internet browsers are the gateway for such viruses and malware even though companies spend millions to secure users against such attacks.
Here’s how to remove the virus in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open your Firefox browser.
- Click on the three horizontal lines on the right-hand corner.
3. Open Addons and click on Extensions.
4. Remove any files that you can’t identify or look malicious.
5. Make sure to head to the Settings page to set your default homepage to blank and not any spammy websites.
Here’s how to remove the ransomware from Google Chrome:
- Click on the three vertical dotted lines in the right-hand corner.
3. Follow the same procedure as above to identify any malware like files and remove them.
4. Change the default page on your Chrome browser to Google or another safer website.
5. Remove if it is set to open in a site that likely carries malware or adware.
Boot Your Windows PC in Safe Mode and Recover Files
Safe Mode is one of the best features on Windows 10 and older Windows operating systems. It allows you to isolate the problem and get your PC running again when important files are corrupted or taken control of, as with the case of the .Writeme ransomware.
- Restart your PC by pressing the restart button on a desktop or using the power button on your laptop.
- Keep tapping the F8 key slowly and it will lead to a boot screen.
- From the list of options, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
- If it doesn’t work, you can also choose Safe Mode Only in the second try.
- Check if your files work in this mode and you may also be able to decrypt your important files when only bare essentials for Windows are up and running.
Some important tips to know along with following these steps on how to remove .Writeme File virus is to always have a backup for your documents. Cloud storage is exceptionally affordable these days; you can save them online. Keep photos in Google Drive and use services like Dropbox to save documents and other files.
Apart from manually removing ransomware, you can also try a dedicated software, an antivirus tool, to get rid of the problem.